Monday, December 24, 2012

Musical Monday: The Christmas Song




What a voice that man had.

I think, when I was a kid, I actually liked Christmas Eve better than Christmas itself. It was just so full of excitement and anticipation, but there was more to it than just that. For whatever reason, my family didn't decorate our Christmas tree until Christmas eve. I don't know if it was just a tradition handed down from one side of the family or the other, or something that came about by design or by accident. With three kids to take care of, maybe it was a way of giving us something to do.

But we'd decorate the tree, then eat, then we'd go to church. Odds were good that we'd have a visit after church from my Uncle Joe, who'd stop in for a bit. At some point, we'd end up in the living room with all the lights off except for the tree, Christmas music playing. And as excited as we three kids always were, I also remember those hours of Christmas eve being among the most perfect, and, oddly, the most peaceful of the year.

May your Christmas be perfect and peaceful. Merry Christmas, everybody.

6 comments:

  1. What lovely memories!! We always decorated our tree early, but I love those memories too - we had some truly hideous ornaments back then that we had to include - so much fun :)

    Wishing you & your family all the best over the holidays and in the new year Jeff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Nat King Cole. Yes, he had a way with words. His daughter ain't too shabby either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you and your family had a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's what we should do! LOL. Xmas Eve is frightfully boring! I hope you guys had a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete

Alas, due to an overwhelming tide of spam from Anonymous commenters, you must now be a registered user to comment. Sorry, folks, I hope it does not cause inconvenience.