Monday, February 9, 2015

Musical Monday: The Blues Brothers

Funny how life works. For reasons unknown to me, I found myself thinking of The Blues Brothers--the actual musical act, not the movie; I've never seen the movie--yesterday morning while scraping snow off my driveway. I was thinking how at first it seemed like a novelty, a gag for Saturday Night Live like John Belushi's Joe Cocker at Woodstock bit, or Gilda Radner's punky Candy Slice, but that they were actually a really good musical act. I don't know why I was thinking about this; just one of those random things that pops into a brain and stays for a bit.

Later in the morning, while eyeballing Facebook, one of my friends posted a status update. She was watching The Blues Brothers (the movie) and commented about how much she loved the film. Strange brainwave, right? So I did some searching around and found some clips. Here's one from New Year's Eve, 1978, at Winterland in San Francisco:


And yes, that was that Paul Shaffer, for those of you who watch David Letterman.

Not a whole lot else to say about this weekend. At some point in the near future I'll have to set foot outside and see how deep the snow is and determine if I can get to work (school is already closed)--maybe I'll get a writing day!

How was YOUR weekend?


5 comments:

  1. The Blues Brothers really were talented folks!
    We haven't had a snow day in years and years. They didn't run buses for a couple of days last winter, but so far we haven't had even that this winter. And it's not like we don't have snow. Our snowbank beside the driveway is taller than the truck :)
    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird. I posted and it didn't take. Sorry about all the snow Hope you don't have spring flooding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And here I thought the Blues Brothers was JUST a movie (and an act from SNL).

    My son loves the movie. It's the kind of stupid funny he likes.

    As for my weekend... It was busy (for a change). Meeting friends, celebrating a birthday (not mine), it fills the days. Heck, I didn't even get ANY reading done. Shocker, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was good. The movie is so well-known, but I didn't really know they were a real act.

    I think our snow is gone for the year... I hope so, anyway. We've had enough!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Responding late because I'm lazy!

    Jemi--I thought you were up in the Great White North, but maybe you guys are so used to it, you don't cancel. Our roads get real crappy, which is mostly why they shut it down.
    Nick--I get the impression the movie may be surprisingly good considering it was developed from an SNL bit--skits turned movies just don't seem like a good idea, but this one may have worked pretty well. One day, maybe I'll actually watch it!
    Donna--I hope not! But it might be so cold this week the snow just sublimates!
    Stacy--they released at least one album (which was quite good) and did some touring. This show that the video clip was from was a pretty big deal of a concert, as it was part of the closing of Winterland, something of a San Francisco landmark in the 60s and 70s. Sounds like a good weekend, despite not getting any reading done!
    Nick--

    ReplyDelete

Alas, due to an overwhelming tide of spam from Anonymous commenters, you must now be a registered user to comment. Sorry, folks, I hope it does not cause inconvenience.