Monday, August 21, 2017

Celestial Events and other things

Semi-random postings for this ecliptic day.

* As you may or may not know, I write a monthly column for one of our local papers. This month's column is on eclipses. Take a read!

* That column is not exactly a "How to" guide for safe eclipse viewing. If you want that, go here!

* A friend of mine gave me a pair of eclipse glasses last week. I checked them out, they meet the safety standards set forth by the American Astronomical Society (AAS), but I have to say I'm a bit nervous about using them anyway. Personally, if I were the leader of a terrorist network who really wanted to screw with United States, I'd get a bunch of people working in the factories where they make these things and have them damage the glasses. It's all about the long game!

*I was heartened to see that the giant rally in Boston was peaceful, in that no one was killed or even severely injured. Not heartened to see that counter-protesters were apparently going after the police., or that they instigated some physical altercations with people who were there to attend the rally. Hands off, people. It may already be too late, but you do not want anyone to be able to legitimately lump you in with the other side.

*Writing! There is writing happening! It's still of the 'scribble notes and arrows and circles all over the printed page' but it is writing nonetheless! I'm a little excited about this.

* There can only be one piece (well, two actually, but you really can't play one without the other, if you ask me) of music for today. From Pink Floyd's landmark Dark Side of the Moon comes "Brain Damage" and "Eclipse."


How was your weekend? Any plans to view the eclipse today?

3 comments:

  1. I'll be driving on the freeway during the biggest part of the eclipse (going to Hubby's doctor appointment). I am bringing my spaghetti strainer to see if it works (supposed to make the shadows show the eclipse--we'll see). If it does, I'll take pictures of the shadows. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being from the UK we didn't get to enjoy the eclipse, but I imagine it was spectacular, if not a little eerie when it goes dark during daylight hours. I have seen pictures of yesterday's eclipse though. stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacy--I hope it worked. I've seen photos on the web of it working and it's really cool. Got to get the angle just exactly right.
    DRC--I'll probably write a little more about it next week, but it was interesting where I was (not spectacular like those in the path of totality). Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete

Alas, due to an overwhelming tide of spam from Anonymous commenters, you must now be a registered user to comment. Sorry, folks, I hope it does not cause inconvenience.