Monday, March 20, 2017

Three Feet

That's what fell on our house last week. Three feet. It was kind of a lot. This is the Catbird on Wednesday afternoon, when the snow had (mostly) stopped. Granted, she's short (5' 3", I think). The car she is standing next to is a Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's just about six feet tall--when it isn't covered with three feet of snow. Needless to say, it was an exhausting couple of days--by the time we were done shovelling the driveway, the piles alongside it were about head high.


Three feet wasn't the winning entry in the snow sweepstakes, however. One of the towns in county picked up four feet. I'm glad it wasn't us!

The good news is the snow is already disappearing, though I soaked myself pretty well this afternoon wading through knee-deep snow in pursuit of the hemlock woolly adelgid, an invasive insect pest that is threatening eastern hemlock trees here on the east coast. I didn't find it, which is good news for the trees.

I think that's about it for me. Were you in the path of the big storm? How did you make out?

4 comments:

  1. Goodness, but that's a lot of snow! I really lucked out this year. I didn't have to shovel ONCE! The only time we got shoveable amounts of snow we were on a cruise. It had melted before we returned. Now, that's a good snow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an impressive amount of snow. We had a little a couple of days ago, but it's already gone. In Scotland though, we can still get it in May!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to live in western Mass, and we had a 4' split rail fence, plus a two story barn remodel. Sometimes the snow covered the fence and got so high on the house, we had to go out and in via the second floor!! Ah, I miss New England. I bet the hemlock woolly adelgid was hiding inside as you should have been ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a good snow, Stacy! It's melting, but I still went knee-deep in a couple of places on a hike over the weekend!
    -Nick: my family has been in upstate New York for 13 years and we've never seen it snow heavily that late, but the long-timers here still talk about Mother's Day snowstorm back in '96!
    -Lexa: do you miss it, or are you just saying that? I don't imagine you get a whole lot of snow in Egypt!

    ReplyDelete

Alas, due to an overwhelming tide of spam from Anonymous commenters, you must now be a registered user to comment. Sorry, folks, I hope it does not cause inconvenience.