Monday, April 27, 2015

Musical Monday: Me and My Uncle

Whoa, how did it get to be Monday already? I'm not ready.Going back for more coffee. Have some music.


Me and My Uncle was written by "Papa" John Phillips of The Mamas and The Papas. Phillips was apparently mystified when he started receiving royalties for the song from Judy Collins' record company. Turns out he wrote the song in a hotel room one boozy night in 1963 or '64 while hanging out with Collins and others. He didn't write any of it down; fortunately, someone had a tape recorder running. Collins somehow ended up with the tape and began performing the song shortly thereafter, and released it on an album in 1964. Phillips would later record the song himself; he joked that he remembered the song more with each royalty check.

The Dead, they started playing the song in 1966. According to those who keep track of these things (and there are, indeed, those who keep track of these things), they played Me and My Uncle more in concert than any other song, performing it over 600 times. 

Bah, that's all I got today. How was your weekend?

3 comments:

  1. Love the line about remembering it more! Too funny
    Hope your week is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost went with the Musical Monday, too. Haha!
    My weekend was productive, well Saturday was. At least the weather was beautiful on Sunday. Made going to the Dragons game pleasurable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny story behind the song. Quite enjoyed it. I'm more looking forward to flaking out this coming weekend by this point.

    ReplyDelete

Alas, due to an overwhelming tide of spam from Anonymous commenters, you must now be a registered user to comment. Sorry, folks, I hope it does not cause inconvenience.