Monday, October 29, 2018

A note

This morning, I quick wrote a post about writing. At the close of it, I wanted to acknowledge the terrible events of the last week (pipe bombs, synagogue shooting), but I did not wish to relegate them to a footnote to a post about something as trivial as writing. At the same time, I really just don't know how to express my anger and frustration with what is happening to this country. I honestly fear for the future of this country more than ever, when we have politicians whose first impulse to the news of pipe bombs is to raise the specter of 'false flag operations,' or to immediately insist (yet again), that guns have nothing to do with a shooting in a synagogue, or that words don't matter. Words matter. They matter a lot. The President, the Vice President, and the lackeys in Congress are either flat-out lying when they say they don't, or are too stupid to see the connection between what they say and what people do. Either way, it's clear they are not people who should be running this country. My heart goes out to the people who lost family and friends in Pittsburgh, and I hope we can get through this time without worse.

***

6 comments:

  1. I'm really scared for our future as well. This election is probably the most important one of my lifetime. The only way for ordinary citizens to act and make their voice heard through all the chaos and lies. I hope everyone who is eligible votes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I hope we like theresults.

      On another note, nice to see you back, Luanne, it's been quite a while. And congratulations on your pub deal!

      Delete
  2. If guns had NOTHING to do with the shooting, then why would the President say they should have had armed guards???? He baffles my mind. I can only hope this election changes things for the better. I already voted. And let me tell you, early voting is soooooo nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny thing, I don't think I even heard word one about gun control from anyone until Trump opened his mouth. I suspect it's an attempt to distract from the larger issue of emboldened white supremacism and anti-Semitism.

      Delete
  3. It is terrifying and discouraging how often shootings and threats happen. Our world is so often a frightening place. I hope things start to turn around for your country with this upcoming election!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jemi. I can't wait for this election to be over, except I'm afraid nothing will change....

      Delete

Alas, due to an overwhelming tide of spam from Anonymous commenters, you must now be a registered user to comment. Sorry, folks, I hope it does not cause inconvenience.